Technical services are the processing and maintenance activities of the library's collection. These include:
1. Identification : locating potentially worthwhile items to add to the collection
2. Selection : deciding which of the identified items to add to the collection
3. Acquisitions : securing the items for the collection
4. Organization : indexing and cataloging the items acquired in a manner that will aid the end-user in locating materials in the collection
5. Preparation : labeling, binding, repairing, conservation, and otherwise making items ready for (and maintained during) storage in a manner that allows for easy retrieval and maintenance of what is in a collection
Technical services also include: maintenance of online catalogs, creation and maintenance of MARC records in the catalog, labeling, covering, security processing, and/or distribution of materials.